Thursday, June 30, 2011

Insomnia

I knew that this summer would not be a terribly relaxing one with the summer research job at UTSW, but I did not know that any stress/anxiety/ineptitude I was feeling during the day would leave me not being able to sleep well at night.  I feel like between dreaming in annoying loops about staining slides over and over and over (and stressing in my sleep that I did something wrong) and Lucy waking us up around 5ish every morning to play... I could count on one hand the number of truly restful nights I've had.  And this is coming from the person who normally falls asleep within 5 minutes of lying down and hardly wakes up the entire night.  I feel slightly depressed just thinking about my lack of sound sleeping and genuine rest!  :(


I guess on the bright side, getting up at 4 or 5am does have it's advantages!  The other day I managed to clean the whole downstairs (and it needed it badly!) and finish the laundry before heading off to work.  Today I'm taking the more relaxing route.  I decided that instead of just staying in bed and trying to go back to sleep, I would get up, drink some tea, piddle around online, maybe read... just generally enjoy a looooong relaxing morning before going into work (early!).

And just to recap what else has been going on lately (though sometimes it feels like nothing else is going on except for researching - which I'm also doing in my sleep apparently)... I'm going to make a list.  I like lists.

1)  I went to "Painting with a Twist" in Grapevine with some girls from East.  It was a blast!!  We went to dinner at Esparza's first, and then walked across the street to drink wine and paint!  They have a selected painting that they do on different nights, so you kind of pick the night that you want based on which painting you want to do.  They walk you through the whole process, step by step, and everyone ends up with the same painting more or less.  I don't think that ultra-creative types would be thrilled with having someone else walk them through how to paint, when to paint, what to paint, etc.  I, however, LOVED it!  The experience is what is so fun though anyway (especially with a fun group of girls like we had!), so I really think anyone could have a blast doing it.  I highly recommend it!!  They have one in Dallas and in other places too.  Here are some pics of the evening (thanks Nancy for the great pics - I'm lazy and haven't put mine on my computer yet... surprise surprise!)

Final product!

Kate, Alicia, and me

Me & Nancy (can you tell I've been up since 4:45am?  yikes!)

All the girls!  Love my East peeps :)
Annnnd I know I said I was making a list, but posting pictures always takes me awhile, so I've decided that I'm done with this post now, haha.  And Lucy is demanding attention, so I must go play "jingly toy" with her.  Have a great day!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Great post! And I love that Lucy demands you play "jingly toy". Now that I know how to play "jingly toy" I will not fail to entertain her again. :)